[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Michael Wathen michael.wathen at wapin.com
Tue Nov 27 18:06:04 MST 2007

I was tested at a Chapter meeting in 1976 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  I
was asked to tune a new studio piano on a showroom floor.  The owner of the
store got a free tuning.  When I was finished several RPTs gathered around
the piano and checked out my temperament.  Another fellow asked me if I knew
how to replace a broken upright hammer shank.  I said, "yes". He said "it
looks you did a good job.  Congratulations on your new RPT status."

It certainly felt like a good old boys club.

Several years later I volunteered as one of the first people to take the new
RPT tuning test. The measuring device was the Sanderson Tuner with the potts
dials.  Sanderson was administering the test along with Claire Davies, and
the Rep from Michigan, Hall.  I did well enough to qualify for examiner and
proceeded to train. This took place at Translyvania University in Lexington,
Ky.