[CAUT] Glues used in instruments

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 27 18:40:28 MST 2007

I'll ditto Ed on the creeping aliphatic phenomenon. I have seen it on
several Hubbard and Zuckermann kit instruments. The glue joint didn't "fail"
but it sure crept. Soundboard creeping into the gap for the jack guides is
one common symptom, with the result that the guides are "frozen" and won't
shift. Also, the hitchpin rail, which is often just glued on top of the
soundboard on some instruments, moves away from the rim, leaving a marked
gap which increases with time. Usually it is possible to live with the
results one way or another.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico