[CAUT] Work Sharp

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 5 07:55:22 MDT 2008

A less expensive alternative is http://www.wapin.com/SurgiSharp_1.htm
available from our good buddies at Wapin.
	It is a kit which uses a bench sander as its base, and provides for
fine honing (600 grit belt) and stropping (leather belt with rouge). I
got this recently and was amazed at how fast and how sharp I could get
chisels, pocket knife, and blades for voicing harpsichord quills (I
can peel the thinnest imaginable shaving of delrin with ease, that is
if I have my magnifiers on so I can see well enough <G>). It's the
stropping belt that really does it, puts that razor edge on fast and
slick, though the sanding belt action on a chisel is far faster than a
wheel and doesn't build up heat. (I still like to hollow grind a
chisel as a starting point, but I stay farther from the point). And
the bench sander is multi purpose.
	That WorkSharp looks pretty cool, too.
Regards,
Fred Sturm