[CAUT] Getting straight

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Aug 6 19:10:25 MDT 2008

Hi Ed,
	Jim Arledge and the Bolducs have both seemingly dealt with this
successfully. I don't know how. I saw a slide or two of the Bolduc's
wire dispensing rack, with some devise the wire was fed through to
straighten it, and thought I understood what it was, but when I went
to reproduce it, it didn't work. Probably the details have to be just
right. I do know that Jim straightens wire.
	A lot of interesting stuff in that article. I can't help wondering
whether, if you have curled wire, and you can't keep the curl
horizontal or vertical, maybe putting a twist in the wire would help
eliminate the possibility of false beats, that maybe a twist might
counteract/confuse/break up the pattern. It was only the case of a
curl being at an angle from horizontal or vertical that consistently
produced the falseness, and when there was a half twist in the wire
(admittedly a specific half twist in specific directions) no false
beat occurred. Makes one wonder about a number of in between scenarios
(the article only mentions specifically a string with the curl at a 45
degree angle between vertical and horizontal, and no twist, producing
beats).
	Nice to have the kink(s) in the wire hypothesis tested and discarded.
Though I think most of us had already discarded it based on our own
experiences. It will be interesting to see where the next segment
leads. I assume we will get to terminations and shorter strings.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu