[CAUT] existing pins

Jeff Farris Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 14 13:19:21 MDT 2008

Hey list,

One more post about restringing with existing pins. We had a lot of good
points brought up last time. I like Jon Page¹s beckett tool, for instance.

This time I¹m curious if anyone has  pulled the plate, without a hoist,
while leaving the existing tuning pins in place. We do not have means to
mount anything like a wench or whatever to pull plates. We normally have our
movers show up with enough manpower to simply lift them out, and set them
back in place. But we¹ve never attempted using the existing pins. It happens
to be a ³D². I¹m concerned about the angle of the pins vs. the nosebolts.
And holding all that weight long enough to deal with any ³problems² that pop
up.  Any thoughts on this? Has anyone ever done it?

Jeff Farris
Piano Technician
School of Music
UT Austin