[CAUT] Position Announcement, SIU, Carbondale, IL (Fred Sturm)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Aug 17 17:24:56 MDT 2008

Good advice to be sure.  And a nice initiative to get some dependable
information which perhaps we may eventually be able to use in some kind
of collective bargaining for RPT's in relation to salaried situations.
RPT's should be free to work for themselves if they want... but if I get
your drift right that shouldn't necessarily prevent the PTG from
representing RPT's as employees.  If so.... well we have a whole new big
tool for touting the RPT designation... at least potentially.

Cheers
RicB

    It is my strong opinion that we should refrain from giving legal
    advice on the lists.

    I have formally asked the Executive Committee if they might attempt
    to acquire legal opinions with regard to the distinction under the
    law between the independent "piano technician as business" and the
    "piano technician as employee", and how those distinctions might
    affect the activities of PTG.

    I have received a response suggesting that they will follow up.

    I honestly do not know what they will find. Meanwhile, it is OK to
    simply wait until PTG has informed itself.

    Kent Swafford