[CAUT] "antique" pianos?

Dan Reed pianoarts at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 18 21:17:37 MDT 2008

John,

Doing appraisals is time consuming...An easy hour at the piano, an hour
on-line and on the phone, and an hour writing up a report....

Come to think of it, each time I do one, I think...I need to charge
about double my servicing rate...

"... she was surprised it was not worth a lot more."

This is a common response...the owner thinks it is worth 2,3, or four
times what  they actually sell for.

As you and I  know, It is 'worth' what someone is willing to pay for
it...not what we say it is worth, so we need to be cautious.

But we are expected to put a value on something...so, this may help...

Determine exactly why they want an appraisal...

The common reasons are:

1) Resale value..in other words, I want to sell it, and I need to know
its value

2) Insurance value...For protecting aganist water / fire damage etc

3) Estate value...for inheritance reason: possible for the proceeds to
be distributed after selling, or, frequently, to be assigned a value,
to be included in a will along with the rest of the estate, for
distribution to next of kin...

4) Donation value, for tax reasons...

Each one of these has it's own unique set of standards....and values.

In any case...

#1) Give a range......''Pianos in this condition, being sold by a
private individuals, generally sell from $$$$  to $$$$$.

#2) Check out the creditable resources...like Larry Fines book...

#3) Try to get some 'comps'...comparable items that have sold recently,
like the real estate folks do...Not so easy with an old piano in
un-restored condition.......But, if you can find some, your
protected...you have hard evidence.

4) Get aquainted with some re-sellers who can quote you some hard
numbers...for example, I have a friend at the local Steinway
dealership, who I can quote ..they are 'creditable' sources to quote.

Dan

Dallas, Tx