[CAUT] S&S hammer flange rail material

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 19 11:31:32 MDT 2008

Now I am curious. How long does this take vs sticking on the "gold-
plated" $8 strip? I bill my private work these days at over $1.50/min...

And then has anyone tried Fred's notion of comparing the auditory
results of bare rail, stringing braid, current black self-adhesive
felt, sandpaper, any any other commonly used items?

It seems to me that the current material helps hold the flanges for
hammer spacing, but then does it help acoustically?

Sandpaper has the disadvantage of introducing abrasives into the
brass and wood rail structure. It is also obviously different from
what Steinway has ever done. Has anyone measured action spread with
and without?

Doug

On Aug 19, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Alan McCoy wrote:

> Wow, I like it! I heated up the beeswax in my hot pot. Applied a
> tiny amount
> with a brush onto the braid that was already stuck on the rail.
> Then heated
> it slightly with a heat gun. The wax melted into the cloth and not
> only
> firmed it up but made it slightly sticky. Just like waxing skis
> will give
> you purchase in the snow for climbing.
>
> Alan
>

>> firms the stringing braid so it doesn't slide so much, only put it
>> on the
>> top side

Doug Wood
School of Music