[CAUT] "antique" piano

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 19 17:14:35 MDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 11:59 PM, John Minor wrote:

>  I was just curious what "antique" appraisers actually say about
> these older pianos. Has anyone heard first hand what kind of prices
> they put on these instruments?

	I guess the bottom line is that probably there really isn't any
"antique value" for pianos with very few exceptions (one off art
cases, provenance like being Liszt's personal piano, and some very
rare quite old). If there was an antique value, we'd surely know about
it amongst us. There would be appraisers who specialized in old pianos
(not shysters like Chris described, legitimate trained ones).
	Why is this? Must be supply and demand. There are just so darned many
old pianos out there. There must be millions in the 80 plus age
bracket in the US alone. Probably well over a million of pre-1900
vintage. If someone wants an old piano, there are plenty available for
cheap.
	I used to follow a column in Early Music, where they reported on old
instruments sold through Sotheby's and Christie's, etc. Prices for
pianos tended to be pretty moderate, even for things that seemed
pretty special.  (I was particularly interested in Broadwood squares
of 1800-1810 vintage, as one had been donated to UNM. Prices of
similar instruments were well under $500 - far different from what the
donor assumed). I certainly believe there is considerable intrinsic
value in an 1860s Steinway grand, but unless there are people out
there collecting them or whatever, that doesn't translate to monetary
value.
	Maybe over time, with internet communication, there will be a market
for at least some of the more rare beasts. Part of the problem is
communication, as it is difficult to match a person looking with a
person selling. (People sometimes ask me to appraise harpsichords in
Albuquerque, wanting to sell one. I tell them, quite honestly, "I have
never seen one sell here, so I can't really give you reliable
information. You need to look at a national market.")
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu