[CAUT] CAUT position announcements, CAUT Academy

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Aug 19 19:53:02 MDT 2008

Jeff and All,

You've touched on some things here which I am convinced should be
included in our "CAUT Academy" as part of the basic curriculum aimed
towards a CAUT endorsement. For those who haven't heard yet, we are
planning our first CAUT Academy seminar to be held at the home office in
the Spring (probably late March). It seems quite obvious that we should
include courses aimed towards employment enhancement topics such as how
to figure out what you ought to be worth in salary as an employee and
how to successfully apply for jobs and negotiate starting salaries and
benefits. There are certainly similar classes taught at business
seminars and I could even see hiring a job professional to teach that
segment.

How many people out there would be interested in attending such a
seminar? It would be very instructive to learn just how many technicians
out there are contemplating applying for a CAUT job, either for the
first time or hoping to move up to a position of greater challenge that
could truly be helped by attending a CAUT Academy seminar. If anyone out
there is in this position, please contact me privately. We'd really like
to hear from you.

My perception is that a lot of schools are having trouble finding
qualified technicians to apply for positions that don't have attractive
salaries. Some positions have gone unfilled for quite a while. Such a
scenario should put upward pressure on salaries but as you point out
Jeff, as long as somebody eventually takes the low paying jobs (for
whatever reason) the institutions have no incentive or need to raise the
salaries. Our hope with establishing the CAUT credential is that
institutions will recognize the value of hiring a technician who has
demonstrated a desire to gain the large pool of knowledge needed to
perform CAUT jobs effectively and will pay them accordingly. By
including curriculum aimed at improving job negotiating skills,
hopefully we can give a CAUT endorsee some more leverage to be able to
put some upward pressure on salaries. Institutions should be bidding
against each other to get the most qualified and highly trained
technicians.

As you say Jeff, this will likely be a long, slow process but I am
optimistic that we can make a difference.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music