[CAUT] CAUT position announcements, CAUT Academy (Fred Sturm)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 17:05:59 MDT 2008

At 05:23 AM 8/22/2008, Fred Sturm wrote:

>My best guess is that there are probably 200 - 300 employee
>positions for piano techs in higher education (some less than full
>time). Some of the big schools have multiple techs.
>The NASM battle is a difficult one. I made a pretty big effort a
>couple years ago when they were doing a major review of their
>manual. I presented what I thought was a very reasonable proposal
>(in specific language to add sentences to specific clauses in their
>handbook) just to add some kind of evaluation of the condition of
>the pianos and the adequacy of their care to the picture (not trying
>to set a standard, just adding pianos to the things being looked at
>and reported on). I submitted it through the channels provided, and
>received not a peep in response.

Fred,

I don't know if this bit of information is of any use, but some years
ago - perhaps in the late 80s or early 90s (before I came to work
there)  - San Francisco State University School of Music and Dance
was put on probation by the accrediting agency. One of the factors
cited was the poor condition of the practice room pianos. They were
old, beat up Baldwin Hamilton, Wurlitzer and Everett studio uprights,
dating back to the 60s and even 50s. The school had to embark on an
upgrade program - and at this point we have Yamaha P-22s purchased
over the past 12 years (plus 8 loaners) in all the practice rooms and
in some classrooms/teaching studios. Faculty offices are still
equipped with the old beaters...

So, someone somewhere does pay attention to piano condition...

The school is off probation, BTW...

Israel Stein