[CAUT] hammer thickness trimming jig

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 10:48:37 MDT 2008

Greg writes:

<< Does anyone know of a jig that could be

built that would accommodate trimming with the shanks on? >>

I have one, home-built.  It attaches to a tablesaw fence and allows a small
carriage to travel back and forth, carrying a clamped hammer alongside the open
blade.  Though it is dangerous, (I have used it for many years and can still
play a 10 note chord), it will allow hammers to be taken into the blade at a
slight angle, which allows the tapering.  I don't do this with the shanks on,
but there could be an easy alteration that would allow it. (or if needed, and
thank goodness it never has been, by tilting the saw blade, it can cut the
extreme bevels on square grand hammers).

      I can think of an alternative,  plausible approach you might consider.
Use a belt sander to dimension the hammers.  I would suggest this for several
reasons;
      It is an easy way to remove weight, the time required would be less
than building a jig, you can easily get a refined SW curve into the action, (alw
ays a good thing), and you can repin the hammerline while you have them all
off.  With a repinned hammerline and even SW, it is fairly simple to plot a FW
curve that will make this piano a spectacular playing instrument, and with a
little bit of effort on the leading, you will have a great advertisement for your
action work for years to come.  Once you know what SW the action likes, you
can gind the hammers to fit.   A good SW is right there, just weighting to
happen...
      All this should cost money, and I suggest that you make the customer
aware that using "Genuine Steinway Parts" costs more because of all the time it
takes to make them usable, especially in the older instruments they are not
designed to fit.  I am going to assume that you didn't get vintage, small
hammers hung on 16 mm knuckle distance, so you have to address the entire
reweighting and balancing of this action to a geometry and mass it was never built to
handle.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's only a deal if it's where you want to go.
Find your travel deal here.<BR>