[CAUT] Rating schools (was Re: position announcements, etc)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Aug 24 12:29:35 MDT 2008

	This sounds like a really promising approach. Logistically, coming up
with ratings on all the music programs all at once is probably
impractical. But maybe an additive approach would work, and I think it
should be purely on a positive basis: we come up with some sort of
standard (or, better, multi-tiered standard as in Acceptable/Good/
Excellent), and find schools which meet the standard(s). And publicize
that list. Then it becomes a matter of schools asking to be evaluated
and considered for inclusion, a prestige thing (in direct competition
with "All-Steinway" <G>. Sometimes overlapping, perhaps).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu