[CAUT] Degrees in Piano Technology?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 27 16:42:15 MDT 2008

Trade schools became Junior Colleges became Community Colleges which became members of state Community College Systems.
The purpose of training independent tradesmen was mostly lost to the demand to train operators for industry.

A program might survive in a big university with lots of pianos to maintain (ring a bell, Jim?), or perhaps if it became the service center for a state university system with pianos to rebuild.

It could offer a possibility of earning money in a music-related field to students who were motivated to study music and learn to play piano. And it could include some math, physics and economics courses that would serve a piano technician well, not to mention music literature and piano pedagogy.

ES