[CAUT] Natural key width

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Feb 1 06:39:08 MST 2008

We're lucky here, I guess.  We have a nice Steinway L with the 7/8th in a
practice room and then one action for the D that is housed in a nice
rolling cabinet in my shop that Richard West made (or had made?).  Still,
nobody plays either of them and Richard said the D had only used the 7/8 a
couple of times over several years.  18K is a lot to spend on something
that just sounds good in theory! Even the professor who was largly
involved in this aquisition never really plays it and her recitals are on
the standard action.

Too bad....

Paul

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
01/31/2008 07:33 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Natural key width

List,

I quizzed one of the piano faculty about the 7/8 keyboard and here is his
reply;

<<< It's an interesting idea and it makes sense.

 Ultimately though - I think it is impractical. Students would need to
solely practice on it - AND in lessons - AND in concert - AND anywhere
else they have to play the piano.  I think it sets a precedent that will
never be able to be followed for the students-  in the real world - they
will be lucky to find one of those pianos in a 3-5 state region.

Interesting - but not practical....

(In my humble opinion...) >>>

FWIW,
Jim Busby