[CAUT] tornado damage photos

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 22:50:43 MST 2008

Richard,

Those photos really tell the story.

I went to the campus again today and looked a little
more at the concert grands.  I did find some some new
rust in a small area on some of the strings.  We are
talking about moving some of the pianos out of the
building while repairs are being made.  Classes may
not be held in there the rest of the semester.

What is the possibility of delayed damage - like rust.
 Glue joints, wool, center pins, that might reveal
problems later.
How would you go about evaluating the possibility of
this type of damage?
I think I'll test the h/f pinning to see it has
changed; wipe strings with a white cloth to see if
incipient rust is present; take out some dampers and
look for rust lines on the felt and feel for
"crispiness" residue that could make damper noise;
what else?

The humidity is somewhat lower in the building today
but the carpet these pianos are on top of is wet. I
wish I would have taken a humidity gauge up there.

Bob Hull

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41208530@N00/2247713984/