[CAUT] Humidity Question

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Feb 8 15:29:14 MST 2008

Hi all,
We've had a humidity "spike" in our recital hall the last week or 10
days.  Every one is screaming that the keys are clammy, fiddle
fingerboards are clammy and bowhair "skids rather than grabbing the
strings".  Yeah, yeah, yeah, the pitch of the piano jumped a few
cents over last weekend, but nothing is screaming high humidity to me.

The "spike"?  We were up to a whopping 55% at one point, which by
August standards would be a kiln.  But we'd been running in the upper
30% to low 40% range fairly consistently until this "spike".

Question is, why is it faculty and students seem to notice
condensation on the keys if it gets over 48% in February, but if it's
75% in a studio in July, nobody mentions it?

I understand walking out of a much cooler, drier hallway into the
recital hall, which has humidification/dehumidification that is
actually working, there is a noticeable difference in the feel of the
air.  But why is there a difference in condensation, or why is there
a perception of clamminess now and not in August?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina