[CAUT] hammer line

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Fri Feb 15 07:12:04 MST 2008

Jim,
no i make a smooth taper (left ot right heavy to light) of both the sorted
shanks and the strikeweight calibration. The shank sorting by weight taper
is preliminary to the strike weight calibration. As Eric has said you look
at the capo bar and wonder what are we missing in terms of evenness. Once
you get up past not 50 or 60 the largest variable factor is the shank
weight. We (Stanwood folks) used to correct that too by removing or adding
material or lead. I weighed the hammers before installation once and
compared them to the differential for the strike weight calibration and
noticed that the hammer weight, after normal preparation, was very even but
that I still had alot of variable "calibration" to do. And some of those
hour glass shaped hammers do cause people to  ponder and wonder. So it
occurred to me that the shanks must be variable and so I weighed the next
set, had an AHA moment, and have been sorting them ever since. Kudos to the
hammer manufacturers, Abel, Ronsen, Renner, steinway (yes even), for their
production of more evenly tapered hammer weights than in the past, although
the more I think about the retro calibrations I've done the more I think the
shank weight could be the largest factor there too.
You could also experiment with altering the curve and maybe solve some more
issues. Bob Marinelli has always said this is possilbe and As I recall Dan
Harteau has had good success with that.
 That said, If the capo line is bent I think the hammerline should reflect
it. And soundboard response is for me a hidden factor that I just feel I
correct for by the above described process. I try two or three even
sometimes four sample spots for strike point to get enough feedback on that.
hope that helps,
Chris Solliday