[CAUT] hammer line

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 15 07:29:53 MST 2008

Here's my approach (similar to Chris's, I think...maybe?).
After boring and shaping I weigh the hammers.
Then I weigh the shanks (as levers).
Let's say the median shank weight is 1.7gr, and they range from 1.4 to 2
grams.
I make a spread sheet that adds the hammer weights to 1.7gr. (column A)
>From this I calculate the ideal strikeweight continuity. (column B)
Then I subtract  column A from column B, which gives a list of corrections
needed.
Now, by substituting the odd weighted shanks for the 1.7gr shanks, I can
make a lot of +/- 0.1,0.2,0.3 gram corrections.
With a bit of luck I can hang the top 20 hammers and make almost no weight
changes to the hammer heads.
Ed Sutton