[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 20:58:10 MST 2008

Awfully persnickety their Jon.  I do get it.

You weigh the hammers and then weigh the shank strike weight and match up
the heavier shanks to the lighter hammers in any given section in order to
achieve a smooth curve.   If you can't get the curve from that you then
alter the mass of the hammer (I presume) to achieve your final curve.

I first taper the hammers on a table saw, dry fit them to the shanks and
then measure the assembled strike weights.  Where the curve needs to be
altered I either add or subtract weight from the hammer.

You go through and weigh two items (hammers and shanks) draw up two charts
and then mix and match from the charts to find a smooth curve.  I weigh one
item, draw up one chart and than add or subtract from the hammer (not while
glued to the shank as Breckne suggests) but before they are glued (very neat
and clean).  They both achieve the same result, smooth strike weight.  But
your procedure has more steps.  It doesn't really matter to me how you are
anyone else wants to do it.  That, of course, is your choice.  My only
reason for pointing this out is that for those concerned with actual time
spent (not imagined time) then they should be aware that there are
alternatives that achieve the same result and those alternatives might be
more expeditious.

No need to be insulting.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net