[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 16 22:05:05 MST 2008

> Meanwhile, I just read that in the Grotrian factory they sort to put the
> low-pitched shanks at the top. Better for the tone that way. It was in
> print, so it must be true.
>
> Ed Sutton

Unassailable, really, except for one thing. I'm told you
should taste the shanks, with the sweetest going to the
treble. Intuitively, that's just gotta be right to avoid those
sour notes. But then I wonder about what to do with a sweet
shank that goes "tink", as apposed to one that goes "tock", or
"tunk". Which takes priority, the taste, or the tock? Tock, I
hear, is cheap, so I wonder how valuable an indicator it truly
is. It seems a shame to risk compromising the optimum tonal
potential on a matter of taste, but I'm not sure just what to
tink here, so I ask.

And shouldn't flange pinning factor in here somewhere too, or
is that just a matter of taste as well?

Ever amazed,
Ron N