[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Sun Feb 17 20:55:24 MST 2008

Keith,

Listening and sequencing the shanks is very fast if done correctly.
I don't agree with Grotian's sequencing method.  I've been sorting
low pitches to the bass end and high pitches to the top for over
twenty years.  One basic principle I follow is a low pitched knock
associated with a movement within the piano reduces power.  It is one
of the main reasons I change front rail felt punchings.  Hard felt
punchings create a low knock that robs power from the sound.   I find
the same to be true with the pitch of the shanks.

But as I have said before:  to each his own.  Grotian does it their
way and that's fine.  I know what works for me.

Tim Coates