[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Mon Feb 18 01:10:13 MST 2008

Thinner shanks will be more flexible and less stiff, hence they will
have a resonating frequency.  I saw techs "smoothing out" the shank
frequencies in the Blüthner factory,  They would sort shanks so that
similar sounding ones were together.  If one shank stood out, they
could lower its pitch by thinning the shank through judicious scraping.
  The pitch could only be adjusted downward.

Jurgen Goering