[CAUT] Shank to Hammer weight spreadsheet

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 09:52:26 MST 2008

>...Once I'm done with that I simply dry assemble the shanks and hammers and
>then use the Stanwood scale to weigh the SWs.  I chart those and then figure
>out where I have to alter them to achieve a smooth curve...

I seems you are 'final fitting' your SW irrespective of the shank
strike weight (SSW).
If you initially taper your hammers to a close margin, then you are throwing
the curve off with jumbled shanks and changing the mass of the hammer due
to shank irregulatities.

It would be more advantageous to match similiar SSW groups to your hammers
which have been mass calibrated, thus reducing alteration. Ultimately, this is
the most thorough method ineritally speaking.

I simply mate the SSW with hammer weight to target a curve because does it
really matter since it is at the end of the compound leverage system.  Are you
feeling hammer inertia or weight at the front of the key.  Or what degree is it
important (inertia at the end of the system) ans opposed to good inertial
effect at the front of the key.
--

Regards,

Jon Page