[CAUT] hammer line

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Tue Feb 19 21:47:33 MST 2008

Thanks Alan,

You've triggered a great discussion here! I guess next week we can bat this
around and some other things too. I'm really looking forward to the visit,
and should arrive in Centralia by about 7:00PM Wed. (I actually shortened
the plane part of the trip, so I could take the last part by train)

In any case, I fully understood and appreciate your thread, and all the
excellent contributions so far. BTW, the "he" I referred to, replying to
Ric, was the parts supplier.

At the moment, I'm looking at an action from a 70's D with hammers at strike
lengths varying anywhere from 5" @ 88 to 5 1/8" section to section. You can
imagine the care I took listening, measuring and assessing this action
before bringing it into the shop! ;>)

I think it's accurate to say, like most of us, more than half our rebuilding
jobs are "re-rebuilding." The previous work on an "A" that went out this
morning, was, well, barely broken in. (shame to have to move knuckles before
the factory glue was fully cured, and did they know why new wippens are
numbered, and is there ever a good reason for a second layer of let-off
punchings... etc. !? ;>)

So, in the larger discussion, I just want to be sure that everyone reading
(including myself) has a full picture of all the considerations that go into
altering an action, how much impact to expect from certain modifications,
and how to weigh out the compromises. Most of all, that when we start
weighing/charting "one" variable in .1g increments, that we're not actually
sweeping all the other variables under the carpet.

Otherwise, just imagine all the re-re- action jobs that are going to be
sitting on our benches in a year or two! ;>)

Best regards,

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University