[CAUT] Shank Pitch

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Fri Feb 22 16:44:11 MST 2008

I'm not sure what a "scratch" test is.  I can tell if the shanks have
been thinned.   I usually can tell during the initial voicing if the
shanks have been sequenced by pitch.  I'm not sure how long Chris has
been sequencing shanks by pitch but I have been doing it for at least
twenty years.   Dave, my brother's 6'4" Knabe has the shanks pitch
sequenced.  Remember that piano?

I explained how to sequence them in a previous post.  It isn't that
hard to use one shank to compare against other shanks that have had
material removed.  The only area I care to remove material is from
the sides because it also affects the lower harmonics created when
the hammer hits the strings.  I am aware of two things that happen
when the shank is thinned on the sides:  the shank "doink" sound goes
up in pitch and the lower harmonics on that particular note become
stronger.

Tim Coates