[CAUT] Shank Pitch

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Feb 25 07:48:35 MST 2008

Ric,

My point was only that pinning irregularities (along with some other factors) can also cause differences in tone. While your teacher's demonstration showed something, how would you know it is shank differences and not something else w/o taking off a shank and thumping it? I'm not trying to "be contrary" as someone else said, it's just that this demonstration of thumping a block of wood, then taking off the shank and showing the shanks are indeed different (bad?) would be a very good trick to know. You answered that below by saying that they replaced the bad shanks. This may be easier than all this weighing/measuring of shanks! (Hence my query) That's why I thought what you said was very important.

BTW, Chris won't publish the pinning studies. He said they were not extensive enough, but that they basically showed him that tone is indeed affected by loose/tight pinning. (Something most of us accept, but many do not, and thus don't repin often) I've heard that David Stanwood has some "adjustable flanges" that have some kind of screw adjustment to increase/decrease friction, and that this has a marked affect on tone. I'd sure like to see a study on that! It would disprove Steinway's assertion (In their manual) that "A flange may have zero friction as long as there is no side play..." This is simply bunk, IMO.

Regards,
Jim Busby