[CAUT] action stack protocol

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Jun 18 10:45:52 MDT 2008

>Question:  is there a proper protocol on which to install first, second,
>etc?  My thinking is to install new let-off buttons first (in existing
>holes), then wips along with travelling, then shanks/travelling.  Any
>problems with this order?  Also, would it be more prudent to use the
>existing let-off button wires and leave them in the rail.  The new ones
>came with the wires on, so I would have to unscrew them all possibly
>taking wood with it on removal. Removing the old wires from the rail might
>damage the holes in the rail, eh?

If you have new let off screws, replace them as long as they fit the holes.
Before you remove the old, place a drop of Protek or Goose Juice on the
threads below the rail to lube then hole while backing out. I use a let off
screw driver in a hand-crank drill.  ream the holes if the new fit is tight,
size with CA is a little loose. Hand-start the new screws and drive through
with a drill to just protrude the rail on the bottom.

To insure a nice square fitting on the threads,  invert the bolt on a pair of
hammer head extraction pliers. The prong end straddles the screw on top
and the bolt head supports the button, turn by hand while squeezing the pliers
and it will be tight enough when the button starts spinning on the
bolt. jpg attchd.

So install the Let Off first while everything is off the stack.

I might be inclined to install the shanks and hammers first so they
can be traveled and spaced to the strings so that the wippens can be
aligned to the knuckles and then traveled.
--

Regards,

Jon Page