[CAUT] hammer line

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Mar 1 17:29:09 MST 2008

>  >Varying heights on knuckles will have the wippens at different rest heights.
>  >Anything we can do to standardize parts and motion is a plus.
>
>A equal elevation and range of motion is what I'm talking about.
>
>Is it possible that Ed Foote's approach to an even after touch, by altering
>each hammer blow distance, a means to put the wippens' elevations on a
>more even keel and that it's the uneven knuckle height which causes
>the hammer line to be askew?  Blow distance does not alter point of
>Let Off but knuckle height certainly does, so the L/O stays the same
>due to the geometry of that particular execution.

I want to bring this up again because it is something not considered
beyond an overall knuckle size.

A set of shanks will have knuckles at various heights, meaning the distance
from the shank to the end of the cover. Sometimes as much as 1mm with
varying distances sprinkled throughout.

A shank with a 'taller' knuckle (or maybe it wasn't pressed in as far) will
have the wippen resting at the lower elevation than its neighbor with a
'shorter' knuckle for the hammers to be at the same height. This lower
wippen will have to travel through a slightly greater distance to reach the
Let Off button and consequently attenuating the after touch.

My contention is that even knuckle heights will produce a more even
after touch. It will also produce a more even Let Off button line due to
the more even geometry or shank ratio. I have proven it on many
installations.

Regards,

Jon Page