[CAUT] breaking bass strings at the bridge?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 17:28:53 MST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu> wrote:

> John,
>
> Wow! Must be a lot of emotion there...
>
> I was told by a string maker that if it breaks at the hitch, middle of any
> area, it was either
> 1. The makers fault because of handling of the hitch making
> 2. Fatigue
> 3. Fate (Bad wire at that spot)
>
> Jim

If it was an upright/vertical I would suspect some minor flood damage, as in
"Oh the piano wasn't hurt, the water was only about 6 to 8 inches deep and
we wiped it dry as soon as we could!"
Just because this is a grand doesn't mean something similar couldn't have
happened, water spillage when watering plants, someone watching the
pianist was over come with the spirit and spilled their libation, a
"splashy" baptism, I could go on but I'm certain you get my drift.
Mike

--
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com