[CAUT] breaking bass strings at the bridge?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Mar 4 04:28:19 MST 2008

Ed Sutton wrote:

> It indicates abuse of the piano.
> How big is the church?
> Do the singers have microphones and amplification?

Pianners don't have to be a church to have broken and abused strings.
Yesterday, Ben Folds was here. Tuned at noon and 8PM.

He travels with his own Baldwin SF10. At least he brought his own this
time. 4-5 years ago he used our D and reports got back to me that he was
standing, etc. on the lid during the "concert". Good thing I hadn't been
there, I'd have gone up on the stage and locked the piano right then and
there.

Friendly crew, this time, who told me that the only tuning problems
might be the replaced bass strings - changed that statement to just the
two most recent ones, after I noted about 5 or 6 obvious replacements.
;-}  He claimed that Ben didn't break plain wire. HA! Judging from coil
appearances and one #4 pin, I willingly suspended belief.

Mikes/amplification? Yup. Nine various mikes/pickups and standard stack
of blasters (a.k.a. speakers). Hammers like rocks.

Altogether, a fun trip back into the world of road warrior pianos.
;-}

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076