[CAUT] punched soundboard

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 08:05:41 MST 2008

See below.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Carl Root <carldroot at comcast.net> wrote:

> This damage would clearly affect its resale value, but since these
> pianos are mostly used up and discarded, then we're looking at its
> functional value, aren't we?

Yes, well, that is the question I'm asking. In terms of school pianos, one
could fill the thing with glue and pull the broken pieces mostly back into
position, but the damage would forever be visible. Looking at the situation
that way, the piano isn't totaled. But to do a repair in which the damage is
"erased" would cost way more than the piano is worth; in that respect, the
instrument is clearly totaled.

Right?

> What does it sound like?

No rattling/buzzing so far. There are randomly spaced, dead-sounding notes
in the bass.

Thanks,

Kent