[CAUT] Knuckle height (Was Re: hammer line)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 6 22:12:45 MST 2008

> Bottom line, a change of 1 mm in knuckle height is definitely
> significant, and something to keep an eye on. I think it makes sense to
> sort shanks if this can be done fairly rapidly, and I'd probably put the
> high ones in the bass, where thicker strings and farther letoff might
> actually make this a good thing in terms of consistency. But I don't
> think it is something to lose a lot of sleep over on a day to day basis <G>.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this - in a manner of
speaking. If the shank set is pre-thinned, we first sort on
shank width. That's pretty easy, so far. Then we check the
pinning, and sort within the previous shank width sort, or
re-pin to an accuracy at least as good as sorting, so we have
a reasonable gradient of center friction. Then we sort on tap
tone, strike weight (hammers, shanks, and/or the combination
of the two), and knuckle height, so all considerations for
each are met to produce the ideal set. No problem. I
conservatively (generously) estimate (guess) that at least ten
sets of shanks and flanges will be necessary to put together
no more than five sets even vaguely conforming to these
requirements, accepting that this is even possible at all,
much less a reasonable standard.

So who's packing sand up who's Thermos, or going through the
forest counting nematodes with a microscope and not noticing
the trees?

Just thought it was about time someone asked.
Ron N