[CAUT] Knuckle height (Was Re: hammer line)

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Fri Mar 7 06:38:47 MST 2008

This could get laughable, it's true. But,
I sort only by weight after thinning, and have verified that there is a
direct correlation between weight and pitch (lighter is higher). So that
eliminates the need for the boinking, except that as Ric B points out every
50 or so has one that sounds like it has no pitch, and that one should be
removed or at least recognized when voicing (or scratching by the ear works
and is very fast compared to boinking) and replaced (after weight
modification of course).
 I don't sort by flange resistance but I do correct flange resistance,
mostly with a variety of sizing solutions. Repinning up is OK, which I do
for almost every set of wippens at the balancier flange, but down usually
only leads to more repinning after tearing up the felt with reamers. I have
tried to burnish after reaming, and even sizing after reaming and
burnishing, but they just seem to make noise sooner than others. Probably
just my lack of patience and technique. Anyway sizing works best for me and
manufacturers of parts tell me that is what they prefer to do rather than
pinning so who knows? I do get to see the results of both assaults years
down the road and like the sizing better in the long run.
Back to sorting, I don't sort for knuckle diameter variation but I do check
for tight wrapping and reglue one side when necessary which does alter the
measurable diameter. I think that although it may introduce a certain
elegance to sort them by diameter, it eliminates the possiblity of easily
sorting by weight, which is much more productive, because as Ron points out
you will need more sets to make it work at that point.
So I use only one set of shanks except for one or two clunkers, I sort them
twice for weight, once before I thin and once after, I clean up pinning
resistance and make them all the same, and I fix any loose knuckle wraps. It
really doesn't take that much time and it solves pre voicing weight issues
and reduces the amount of work I have to do to achieve a smooth stike weight
calibration. If you don't believe thinning has any beneficial effect then
elilminating that step leaves sorting only ONCE! no big deal, well really it
is a big deal, well ...but... Does anyone not check flange resistance before
assembly? or for loose knuckle skins? considering the overall reduction in
voicing procedures and time I'll have to conclude that what I do actually
gives me more time to spend with the family. And then there's customer
satisfaction...
Just one man crying in piano technology's wilderness of mirrors.
Chris Solliday