[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Mar 11 06:28:05 MST 2008

RCT. I like the "Custom EQ" which allows one to tweak stretch to a
fairly refined degree - I can usually get what I want the first time.
I use it on my laptop, which also holds my database, so there is a
convenience factor (not that fond of PDAs, though I expect I'll get
there. The PDA versions of database and tuning software tend to be
stripped down, the screen is small, and input is inconvenient compared
to a full keyboard). RCT does instant conversion of any ET tuning to
any other temperament. THe most common ones from Jorgenson are pre-
loaded, and you can create custom ones very easily. Storage, labeling,
and sorting of a vast library of tunings is quite convenient. THe
Pianalyzer function ("spectrum analysis" on the cheap) can give
reasonably objective feedback on voicing, and do piano to piano
comparison (could stand a good deal of improvement, though). I like
the pitchraise function, which is pretty well matched to bass/treble,
and to different parts of the treble (different percentage overpulls
for different areas).
	And I think the tuning interface is matchless: the combination of
left/right, spin, increase in size, and blush make it by far the most
intuitive to really hone in on that final 0.5 cents. I find it really
helps getting unison polishing done efficiently.
	SAT is what I have used also. Don't mind it, once you get used to
navigating and the button sequences. I certainly like its long battery
life.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico