[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Tue Mar 11 07:48:12 MST 2008

I've been meaning to contribute to this conversation.  Fred and Carl
are echoing my opinions in favor of the RCT.  I initially used the
SAT and it was accurate and compact.  (and yes the battery life was
fantastic)  But since moving to the RCT, I can't imagine going back.
The graphics are very accessible, temperaments are extremely
accurate, and the pitch raise function is dead dog on.  This time of
year I can do remarkably accurate pitch raises in one pass.  Perfect
for practice rooms when you're in a hurry and perfect fine tuning is
not as critical.

The most important thing for me about the RCT however is the fact
that it is on my lap top computer.  I have my entire computer with me
wherever I go.  I have data bases with records right at the piano.
With wireless internet becoming more and more available, I have email
access most of the time.  That may sound geek-o-rama but it is very
nice to have when you are expecting important messages but running to
various appointments.  Plus, I have finally switched from a paper
calendar to ical on my lap top.  Added to the fact that I now use an
iphone, the two are compatible and sync with each other.  I have a
much better handle on my schedule.

I think all of the ETD's we are comparing are well designed and do
excellent work.  It boils down to what format you are used to and
which adapts best to the way each of us want to use it.  I love
having a full keyboard, large intuitive graphics, and all the
benefits of having my computer with me at all times.  Plus, I can't
say enough about Dean Reyburn.  He is personally very involved with
support and upgrading.

Chris

On Mar 11, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Carl Root wrote:

> RCT on a Macbook.  . . for the reasons Fred mentions, with special
> emphasis on the pitch raise function.
>
> Carl D. Root, RPT
>

> On Mar 11, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Fred Sturm wrote:
>
>> RCT. I like the "Custom EQ" which allows one to tweak stretch to a
>> fairly refined degree - I can usually get what I want the first
>> time. I use it on my laptop, which also holds my database, so
>> there is a convenience factor (not that fond of PDAs, though I
>> expect I'll get there. The PDA versions of database and tuning
>> software tend to be stripped down, the screen is small, and input
>> is inconvenient compared to a full keyboard). RCT does instant
>> conversion of any ET tuning to any other temperament. THe most
>> common ones from Jorgenson are pre-loaded, and you can create
>> custom ones very easily. Storage, labeling, and sorting of a vast
>> library of tunings is quite convenient. THe Pianalyzer function
>> ("spectrum analysis" on the cheap) can give reasonably objective
>> feedback on voicing, and do piano to piano comparison (could stand
>> a good deal of improvement, though). I like the pitchraise
>> function, which is pretty well matched to bass/treble, and to
>> different parts of the treble (different percentage overpulls for
>> different areas).
>> 	And I think the tuning interface is matchless: the combination of
>> left/right, spin, increase in size, and blush make it by far the
>> most intuitive to really hone in on that final 0.5 cents. I find
>> it really helps getting unison polishing done efficiently.
>> 	SAT is what I have used also. Don't mind it, once you get used to
>> navigating and the button sequences. I certainly like its long
>> battery life.
>> Regards,
>> Fred Sturm
>> University of New Mexico
>> fssturm at unm.edu
>>

>> On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:32 PM, John Minor wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious what ETD others prefer. I'm considering making a
>>> purchase soon.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> John Minor
>>> University of Illinois