[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

wbis290 at aol.com wbis290 at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 16:32:41 MST 2008

Hi Keith and Fred,

It has been interesting to read what both of you have said. I will say
this, I feel that one should not be tuning pianos without being able to
tune aurally proficiantly. I use an ETD but was trained to tune aurally
first. When I tune, the ETD is used along with the ear. No matter how
good the ETDs are, they still cannot tell what will be a really great
tuning. I was helping someone with their tuning and he was making good
progress until he got a SAT lll. From there on it was look at only the
machine and his tunings went downhill. No matter what I told him, he
kept insisting that his tuning was better and yet people that he tuned
for before did not want him to tune for them anymore. There are times
when I will go with aural only to make sure that my ear is still good
and not getting machine lazy. I still think that the best tunings are
the ones where a tech uses both the ETD and aural tuning. The final
judgment should always be with the ear.

Bill Balmer,RPT
University of Findlay and Ohio Northern University