[CAUT] damper chirp

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Mar 13 11:54:18 MST 2008

Hi Tim,

What type of felt is it? I think Bosendorfer felt, like Steinway felt is horizontally layered. That is one of the reasons it tears so easily when you insert mutes w/o being careful. Yamaha felt is layered vertically (I believe it's Yamaha) and is more durable and different sounding. You can tell by very gently pulling down about 1mm and you'll see one start to expand (Steinway) and the other won't. See which kind you have and sample with the "other" kind. Sometimes this solves it. We carry both kind just for this.

Regards,
Jim Busby BYU