[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Mar 16 10:56:57 MST 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 1:44 AM, ricb at pianostemmer.no wrote:
>  An ETD tuning is not a creative endeavour in
>>
> any sense of the word.   If you are simply following the dials.. ie
> the ETD's <<programed tuning>> then at very best your imput is so
> minimal as so essentially constitute a negligible effect on the end
> tuning.

	I think that here you have hit on the nub of the controversy, the
source of much of the emotion that fills discussion of this topic: it
is the desire that what we do be creative, be meaningful, not merely
"mechanical." It is the opposition of "art" and "science." As a
musician I have the same attitude. I don't "merely" play the right
notes, in correct time, at the right dynamic levels. I "bring the
music to life." OTOH, the vast majority of the work I do in preparing
(practicing) focuses precisely on learning to play the right notes,
yadda, yadda, all those mechanical things. I often use that most
horribly unmusical, mechanical device, the metronome, to hone my
skills. All in hopes that, with that background of practice, when the
time comes for performance, inspiration will be there and it will all
come together to produce "magic."
	I look at piano preparation as a piano technican in the same way:
lots and lots of mechanical details, all of which come together to
make that conglomeration of metal, wood and felt into something
magical, with the potential for being the conveyer of "living music,"
at which point it almost takes on life itself. I guess I am as
sentimental and emotionally attached to my work as any member of our
obsessive profession. I just try to be dispassionate in looking at the
individual details, like tuning (which is, after all, the very most
temporary of all the things we do as piano techs, a fleeting pattern
that disappears all too soon - sometimes instantly when the stage
lights come on <G>).
	Letoff is measurable. Pitch is measurable. Virtually everything we do
to a piano can, conceivably, be quantified (voicing is troublesome
that way). Description of what we do can be expressed and analyzed in
mathematical terms. I think that is a good thing, and can help us
learn to do our work better, even if it _is_ annoying sometimes <G>.
This analytic approach shouldn't be seen as threatening, though I
suspect it always will be.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico