[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 16 14:01:30 MST 2008

Fred-

Since it is first of all the performer we tune for, may I ask:

Did you find your performance of Villa-Lobos in any way changed by Moore or
ET temperaments?

Do you think Villa-Lobos's music was influenced by a sensitivity on his part
to various temperaments?

Do you think the style of Villa-Lobos's music is one that displays subtle
differences in tempering?

My concern is not  the vote of the audience, or even the approval of a
tuning expert, but to get some clarity about the circumstances in which
differing temperaments might make a difference for particular performers.  I
would like to discern whether the difference is a genuine response to the
change of temperament, and not just a hyped response to a tuner's sales
pitch.

If/when a change of temperament can really help or hinder a performer, we
should know what to offer.

Ed Sutton