[CAUT] Development in audio recording technology

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Mar 17 09:42:33 MST 2008

It occurs to me to wonder whether it might be possible to do research
on real life tuning/pitch of performers on non-fixed pitch instruments
using this technology. What people really do, as opposed to what they
say they are trying to do. It certainly seems like this should be
possible, looking at it from the outside. If you can "lasso" an
isolated pitch/note, then you should be able to manipulate it so as to
be able to prolong it enough to measure fairly precisely. And then you
can compare instances of the same note at various places in a cut, and
come up with samples of all notes and their ranges of pitch, and find
endless possibilities of analysis.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico