[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Mar 18 13:59:08 MST 2008

Fred Sturm wrote:

> ......... I guess that at this point I am feeling more and more that
> temperament shape is not nearly as significant as we believe and want
> to believe. But I am still exploring. When you get to WTs with real
> noticeable character (on the order of Valotti), it becomes more
> significant and definitely noticeable. But in that realm, I think I
> would say there are "families" of WT and meantone, and that what
> family the tuning belongs to is more important than the very precise
> tuning instructions or cents offsets.
>
> _____________

Well said, Fred.  When it comes to use of the machines, I rather doubt
if any of us experienced, good caut tuners who use them regularly, use
them exclusively. It's storing data when computers are at their best.
This is why I use the SAT for storing my best aural work on each
important piano, which is continually refined as deemed appropriate
during subsequent tunings.  This method also greatly reduces the concern
over difficult readings because you can choose the partial you record
at.  Our software programs often compromise readability in the 5th
octave especially for the sake of accuracy- on paper.  If you are
recording your aural tuning and checking with measured intervals
whenever desired along the way, you have the liberty of recording at a
lower partial.  I usually start recording fundamental at C5.  Some
pianos have several pages with different temperament options.

Considering the demands and stress we must learn to cope with on almost
a daily basis during recital season, I am very grateful for the
technology.  Ultimately it conserves some of my brain energy for the
things that matter most to players- like unisons.  Unfortunately, I must
agree that indeed something probably is lost- but hopefully not
accuracy.  If that happens, someone is not doing their job.  Perhaps
what is lost however is a bit of the creative high we came to enjoy
doing things the old way. Don't forget we are the last generation of
tuners who will have absolutely learned in the old way. It's a story
we've heard before that the gains in convenience or speed that
technology can offer will somehow be offset with a little less soul.
Maybe, maybe not.  I do know that my department or my customers aren't
too concerned about my experience.  They just want the job done quickly
and accurately.

cheers,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College