[CAUT] well tempered

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 23 07:03:47 MST 2008

How about the unadvertised dumb question, do I use the deviations
starting at A49 and go up to G#60 or do I use what I would consider the
"temperament octave?" If I just have that correct I can manage the rest
by ear. Sorry, I don't have time to buy a VT. Having slept on this I now
think double and halve is wrong since that would be for cycles per
second not cents but maybe the answer lies in putting the temperament
onto a page in memory and then applying multi representative stretching
techniques using the Double Octave Beat Control as I usually do with my
SAT-not your problem Jon. But maybe someone else out there...
My confusion is compounded by Lehman's suggestion that a C centered
tuning (which is supposedly the great discovery contained within the
Bach doodles on the title page of the WTC) begins at middle C40 instead
of C52 and all his indications either aurally or ETD are based there.
Then he goes on to say that he gives indications for an "A" centered
tuning because that is the sacred tuning note of orchestras and many
piano tuners which he never spells out, so I infer he means A49 but I
suppose it could be A37. Who knows? not me.
Thanks for taking the time with this but perhaps it's becoming a more
universal thing as Ric B suggests. I am alot like you Jon in that I am
doing this just for result and while this may be an opportunity to
really dig in and learn something about that which I have been avoiding,
I'd really rather just get the thing tuned and go home for some jelly
beans. I can appreciate key color but since it is a miniscule part of
the available spectrum these days I'm sure Equal Temperament will remain
my and most everyone else's tuning of choice. Again the color of jelly
beans is much more important...
Thanks,
Chris