[CAUT] rescale bass strings

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 23 12:57:52 MST 2008

Hi again David.

After reading a couple other posts on this thread I thought I might add
a few thoughts on the matter.  My reply below was meant to be taken bit
lightly, but seriously just the same.  Its probably a good idea to
remember that by definition you are not going to make any improvements
per'se... only alterations.  Now I'm not naive enough to not be aware of
the fact that ofte times the changes we make will be appreciated by many
as improvements... and in some cases nearly everyone passing judgment on
said changes will be in agreement.  But in reality that kind of
consensus is a good deal more rare then it may appear.  For a variety of
reasons as well, some less rational then others to be sure, some more so.

I'll throw out a few examples of modern day popular <<design changes>>
that are far more controversial then advocates of these want to admit.
McMorrows light weight hammer approach, Stanwoods action re-designs, and
some of the total redesigns to well known brand names we've seen
discussed here.   While many approve of these there can be no doubt that
many do not. And this most definitely and most importantly includes our
matron saint... the pianist.   So what do we tell the customer when we
propose something like an action redesign, a rescaling... or anything of
the kind ?  Personally,  I've gotten to the point where I guard my
comments.  Instead of throwing out lots of superlatives, declarations
and promises of way better performance... I simply discuss thoroughly
what the actual expected results of any change I propose are. I can say
the action will play faster, lighter, heavier, bigger,... or the piano
will sound deeper, brighter...    whatever you get the drift.  If the
customer likes the sound of any proposal.. then we go forward if not
then we dont. In anycase the customer has a much clearer idea what she
is buying into and I am held to a much more reasonable form of
accountability.

So yeah... J.D. spelled out the technical info you need to supply a
string maker, and in addition you need to describe what kind of
performance change you are looking for.  If you don't then you get only
the scale designers idea of what an improvement is.  With which you may
end up being exactly ok with... or you may not.

Just a small note of caution before promising the world to a customer.

Cheers
RicB

            I suppose amoung other things,... what your definition of an
            <<improvement>> is... :)

            Cheers
            RicB

        What information does the string maker need for improving the
        scaling of the bass section in a 5'3" George Steck?
        David Ilvedson, RPT
        Pacifica, CA 94044