[CAUT] well tempered / Which Bach ?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Mar 25 06:37:27 MST 2008

	There are many "recreations of 'Bach's' temperament" out there. Lots
of people have written reams of material "proving" that their own take
is the correct one. Most of them are based on notions of "how Bach
composed," essentially claiming that he "must" have wanted X interval
at X point of X piece to be more or less  "poignant" (and thus contain
more or less beating) and similar arguments. Many were worked up
purely from his music, in keeping with the writer's interpretation of
how Bach "must have" wanted it to sound.
	The Lehman recreation is from an interpretation of that interesting
"squiggle" at the top of the engraved plate for Bach's self-published
WTC (it is a copper plate, engraved from manuscript presumably created
by Bach's own hand). Lehman's is not the only interpretation of that
squiggle, nor even the first. For anyone interested, go to Early Music
(a quarterly journal published by Oxford Press). There were a couple
articles in response to Lehman's articles, I think last summer, each
with a different take. One of them proposed a completely different
interpretation. Probably there have been further articles since then,
as a further article by Mark Lindley was promised (I haven't checked
recently). I'm sure there is also a lot of buzz on line in various
discussion groups and blogs.
	BTW, Lehman's second article is filled with arguments about how his
solution must be correct, based on where which intervals appear in
what pieces. With so many people giving so much energy to this line of
investigation, the truth will no doubt be completely obscured within
the next century or two <G>.
	All this said, the Lehman interpretation seems to have a lot more
traction than any other, and has swept through the early music
community and beyond. So it's a good one to have stored in your user
temperaments in case of need. As Chris has found, it is in demand even
for piano. And it is a fairly mild one, maybe about as far beyond
Broadwood's Best as Broadwood's Best is beyond Moore - a little
farther along the spectrum. I think it is quite suitable for piano,
for the right customer.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico