[CAUT] well tempered / Which Bach ?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Mar 25 10:06:16 MST 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 9:03 AM, johnsond wrote:

> I've often wondered about so much discussion over various formulas.
> I find extremely hard to believe that any of the best 19th century
> tuners used someone else's formula with the kind exact precision we
> presume today.

Amen to that! When you get into the historical literature
(contemporary with the actual music, in renaissance and baroque
periods and beyond), there certainly was a lot of nitpicking
discussion, but one has to put it in context. The most precise thing
they were using was a monochord, with measurements of length to
produce the theoretical pitches - extremely imprecise. And nobody (no
day to day professional performing musician) tuned an instrument using
the monochord.
	The thing I like about Lehman's interpretation is that it seems "so
Bach-like" in general attitude. A simple to learn, simple to execute
pattern, with a certain amount of "sly elegance" to it. And Bach
didn't have a lot of patience with the intellectuals and their
arguments. Where I lose Lehman is in his second article, with all the
"proof" having to do with things like size of EG# M3 and the like. I
have my doubts that there was ever that degree of hyper-sensitivity to
minute shadings on the part of composers. Not impossible, but unlikely
IMO. I think the general shape is what mattered, when it mattered
(which certainly isn't all the time).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico