[CAUT] Full Cover w/ DC

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 09:20:28 MST 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:51 AM, Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net> wrote:

> I recently took over the tuning for a church with a 7' Imp. Bosendorfer.
>
> On my first visit the music director asked me to remove the tank.
> I lifted a section of the full-length cover and got under the piano;
> it was quite warm and humid, too much.
>
> This is an old church with wooden floors with the parish hall below.
> The heat radiated up through the floor and was trapped within the
> cover causing the piano to become even warmer. With the humidifier
> running it was like a sauna or greenhouse (to a degree).
>
> Of course, as I was tuning, the piano drifted since it is now being
> acclimated to the room. That was fun.
>
> I recommended that they ditch the full length cover and supplement
> the rods with a string cover. This way the string cover can remain on
> during services and removed for performances if needed. I don't think
> they need the H20 since there's no excessive heat or cold in the winter
> and no one willing to monitor it.
>
> I suggested they place a hygrometer inside to monitor the piano when
> first opened and after service and to ascertain the effect of the full
> cover
> and whether they really needed the H20 in the winter.
> They have yet to do that.
>
> The music committee asked the dealer about the full cover and DC
> and the dealer naturally stuck by their sale.  I was asked by the music
> director to give my suggestion at a committee meeting next week.
>
> So my question is, with the heat radiating upwards from the hall below
> is a full cover ideal. I believe a string cover and heat rods are
> sufficient.
> I can see where a full-length cover in an auditorium can be useful
> but in this case I think it is detrimental.
>
> They don't really need the bulky, protective cover because there
> is no traffic around the piano.  A lighter cover would do if desired.
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

Hi Jon,
I've had great success with full drop covers but they haven't been in
situations such as you describe. I do know the initial cost of the cover
would have been double that of a standard cover.
Bearing that in mind I believe the suggestion Joel had to use velcro and
fold the cover up to a standard length during the winter months and
re-evaluate when summer/humidity returns and the heat is off. When the
humidity builds you may again wish to have the full drop cover depending on
the size/type of AC, if any. Another thought would be to check with
Dampp-Chaser for a humidistat that has a lower RH setting. I know they make
Humidistats with different humidty level settings for differnt parts of the
country.

Mike

--
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that
will allow a solution.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404