[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 1 12:38:14 MDT 2008

Alan,

Years ago when I had my first class from Del he said that he took a small grand, reduced the soundboard area by 30-40% (That's what I recall anyway) reduced the speaking length of the lower bass strings, then actually had a BIGGER sounding piano! The proof was there to play. It just sounded like a "bigger" sized piano. The Ms I've done sound more like Ls, As or Os. But that, I guess, is just my opinion and the opinion of everyone who has heard them. Can't prove a dang thing...

(AND DON'T WANT TO ARGUE...<G>)

Regards,
Jim