[CAUT] Steinway school info

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri May 2 12:37:41 MDT 2008

Hi Chris,
	I would advise using this as an opportunity. I think going through
the workload formula is a good exercise, as a way of evaluating what
you have and creating a basis for deciding what you want to or ought
to do. You are right that the Steinway folks will essentially be
saying that you need to replace most of the inventory, and will give a
couple models (various proportions of Steinway versus Boston) for
price - not terribly helpful, really, since you can easily look up
MSRP and subtract the fairly standard 25% institutional discount
without their help. I wouldn't put too much effort into their
evaluation of your inventory (I went through this three times over the
years, and what I did was to provide a spreadsheet or database
printout of models, serial numbers and locations).
	But this does give an opportunity to raise the issue of the state of
the inventory, and what needs to be done over a long term. I would
suggest doing your utmost to be included in the meetings, providing
your own input as the technician - emphasizing that the service
component is just as important as what instruments the department has.
I wouldn't comment too much on the all-Steinway concept (at least in
public, maybe express reservations privately to individuals), but let
it happen if it is going to. There could very well be many up sides
for you and for the institution.
	But at the same time, I would develop a sustainable long term plan,
based on on-going replacement, rebuilding (and possibly
remanufacture), and general maintenance, with a rational annual budget
attached. Or perhaps a couple of plans, one "ideal" and one
"practical." And then, when and if they decide the all-Steinway option
is too rich for their blood, you present an alternative. They are
already thinking of making a change, attention is focused, take
advantage.
	Where does the money for an all-Steinway switch come from? Well, part
of the program is that Steinway provides free consultant help in
raising money (it's part of their marketing budget). They will help
develop a plan for raising money, working with the development office
or with upper administration types. Even if it doesn't come to
anything in terms of actually doing the all-Steinway thing, the
process might set things in motion for your department/school to
initiate a serious fund-raising/endowment program. UNM (and our
department) has only started to get serious about that in the last
decade or two, but it has begun to have very positive results. The
university, though a state entity, actually only receives 20-25% of
its funds from state allocations. It seems like this is a fairly
common model for state schools these days. Our department has started
to see real results from a sustained effort at building its own
sources of money, especially in the area of scholarship endowment. And
various student course fees give us the flexibility to do a number of
very important practical things, including piano things.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu