[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:18:21 MDT 2008

I just attended the soundboard design class 2 by Urlich Sauter. The question
was posed to him as to why the one piano had a cantelever bass and the other
didn't. He said On this piano he felt the sound benefited more from the
scale being longer but the bridge needed to be placed away from the rim
farther. It was not an excessive cantelever and very well built. He
obviously listened to it both ways and he was of the opinion the cantelever
improved the overall sound. You guys who insist that in all instances, no
cantilever is better than some, you must be missing something.
Keith Roberts